The FDA Acceptable Market Name can be used to label seafood products in interstate commerce. When there is no Market Name in the Seafood List, or to determine if a particular name is an Acceptable Market Name for use in interstate commerce, consult the Principles in Section VI of the Seafood List Guidance.
The Seafood List also provides additional information about names: An asterisk (*) next to the FDA Acceptable Market Name indicates that a specific rule or regulation applies to that species. A listed regulation number refers to the applicable section of the Regulation cited. A dagger (†) next to the Common Name in the Seafood List identifies the names that are prohibited by a law. The specific law is noted to provide additional information.
- Clicking on a column heading of the Seafood List or search results from the Seafood List will sort the list based on that column. Clicking a column heading again will sort the list in the opposite direction.
- An asterisk (*) next to the FDA Acceptable Market Name indicates that a specific rule or regulation applies to that species. A listed regulation number refers to the applicable section of the Regulation cited.
- A dagger (†) next to the Common Name in the Seafood List identifies the names that are prohibited by a law. The specific law is noted to provide additional information.
- A DNA link with the Scientific Name Provides access to DNA sequence data (barcodes) for that species.
- An RFE link with the Scientific Name provides access to Regulatory Fish Encyclopedia images and data for that species.
- The Type column indicates Vertebrate (V) or Invertebrate (I).
- The Vernacular (regional) names are included ONLY for reference.
You may submit either electronic or written comments on The Seafood List at any time. To ensure that the Agency considers your comment on The Seafood List, submit electronic comments to http://www.regulations.gov. Submit written comments to the Division of Dockets Management (HFA-305), Food and Drug Administration, 5630 Fishers Lane, rm. 1061, Rockville, MD 20852. All comments should be identified with the docket number FDA-1994-D-0221 (formerly 94D-0265).
For questions regarding The Seafood List, please contact the Division of Seafood Safety at 240-402-2300 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. The list of names on The Seafood List is updated every six months, as resources permit. Details of changes that have been made to The Seafood List since 2010 can be accessed from the Seafood List Guidance page.