SCOGS (Select Committee on GRAS Substances)
This database allows access to opinions and conclusions from 115 SCOGS reports* published between 1972-1980 on the safety of over 370 Generally Recognized As Safe (GRAS) food substances. The GRAS ingredient reviews were conducted by the Select Committee in response to a 1969 White House directive by President Richard M. Nixon (see History of GRAS and SCOGS).
The SCOGS database allows users to search for the SCOGS opinion and conclusion, and includes the United States Code of Federal Regulations (21 CFR) citation for those GRAS food substances that have been codified in the CFR. Many of the SCOGS reports reviewed more than one GRAS substance and each substance was evaluated and assigned its own individual type of conclusion on safety; Type 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5, as shown in the table below.**
The SCOGS Conclusions were made by scientific experts outside of FDA. The complete background of the Select Committee is described in the History of GRAS and SCOGS.
Search and display hints:
- Select the GRAS substance below to view the record details, including the SCOGS opinion.
- Select the CFR reference below to view the 21 CFR regulations.
- Select the NTIS Accession Number below to order the full report from NTIS.
- To sort by a specific field, click on the column header for that field.
- To browse the records, use the Show All, First/Previous/Next/Last, and Jump To options at the bottom of the data table.
- To search for a specific substance/term, enter the term in the Search box and select Show Items to display only those records that contain the selected term.